Dental Sedation Options in Upper Arlington
Many patients find visiting the dentist unnerving. We understand that it is critical to create an environment that is relaxing and enjoyable. Dr. Miely and his team members strive to create the epitome of comfort for our patients at our Upper Arlington office.
We are sedation experts, proudly providing three different levels of sedation. Patients who have had poor experiences in the past can discover a new kind of dentistry here. You can sit back, relax, and cut out anxiety and worry while you get the dental attention you need.
Am I a Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry can be beneficial helping patients manage anxiety, discomfort, and other challenges. Here’s a list of situations for which sedation dentistry may be particularly helpful:
- Dental Anxiety or Phobia: Sedation can help individuals with fear or anxiety related to dental procedures feel more relaxed and comfortable during their appointments.
- Gag Reflex Sensitivity: Patients with a heightened gag reflex may find it difficult to undergo certain dental procedures. Sedation can help suppress the gag reflex, making treatment more tolerable.
- Complex Dental Procedures: For extensive or multiple dental procedures performed in a single session, sedation can help patients endure longer treatment times without excessive discomfort.
- Low Pain Threshold: Individuals with a low pain threshold may benefit from sedation to minimize any discomfort associated with dental treatments.
- Special Needs Patients: Sedation can be useful for patients with physical or cognitive disabilities who may have difficulty cooperating during dental procedures.
- Invasive Surgical Procedures: Sedation is often used for more invasive dental surgeries, such as tooth extractions, implant placements, or gum surgeries, to ensure patient comfort.
- Long Dental Appointments: Patients undergoing extended or multiple procedures during a single appointment may opt for sedation to make the experience more manageable.
- Difficulty Getting Numb: Some individuals may have difficulty getting fully numb with local anesthesia. Sedation can complement local anesthesia, providing an additional layer of comfort.
- TMJ Disorders: Patients with temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders may find sedation helpful during dental procedures that could exacerbate their jaw discomfort.
- Allergic Reactions to Local Anesthetics: In cases where patients have allergic reactions to traditional local anesthetics, sedation can be an alternative to manage pain and anxiety.
- Severe Gag Reflex: Individuals with an uncontrollable or severe gag reflex may find sedation dentistry beneficial for reducing the urge to gag during dental procedures.
Past Traumatic Dental Experiences: Patients who have had traumatic dental experiences in the past may benefit from sedation to ease emotional distress and create a more positive association with dental care.
It’s important to note that the appropriateness of sedation depends on the individual patient’s health status, medical history, and the specific dental procedure being performed. Always consult with a qualified dental professional to determine the most suitable sedation option for each patient.
Sedation Dentistry Options We Offer:
- Laughing Gas Sedation | Laughing gas is administered via a nasal mask during your visit. These patients feel relaxed during their visit, but the effects of the sedation will wear off immediately when the mask is removed.
- Oral Conscious Sedation | For patients with moderate dental anxiety, a simple pill may be the way to experience comfortable dentistry. With conscious sedation, you will remain awake, but in a state of deep relaxation.
- IV Sedation | This type of sedation is best for patients who require a more advanced kind of sedation. These patients can enjoy a deep, dreamlike state during their visit so they can receive any treatment they need.
-Kerstin H., Sedation Dentistry Patient
Afraid of the Dentist? Fear No More – Try Sedation Dentistry!
Our dental office offers a wide variety of sedation dentistry services that allow you to feel more comfortable than ever in the dentist’s chair. Do you need dental veneers, root canal therapy, or root scaling and planing? Prepare for a pain-free, worry-free appointment with Dr. Miely.
Don’t put off your dental work any longer. With our sedation dentistry techniques, you can have all of your services taken care of in as little as ONE appointment. You deserve to achieve a beautiful smile in a compassionate place, so contact our Upper Arlington office today if you are in the area, including Hilliard and Grandview Heights.
Ellen L., Sedation Dentistry Patient