At Mark A. Miely DDS in Upper Arlington OH, we think the more you know, the better off you are. That’s true for teeth, and just about everything else. With that in mind, here are something things about teeth you may not have known!
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can still get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as important as your teeth.
- Some prescription medication can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of babies between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated dental caries.
- Heartburn can be adverse for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as adverse for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. 1
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
We hope you have found this interesting, and perhaps even informative. At Mark A. Miely DDS in Upper Arlington Ohio, our services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact Dr. Mark Miely DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):