You may not be able to say exactly why all the elements of a great smile blend in perfect harmony, but you know it when you see it. These elements are essential to the smile makeovers we do at Mark A. Miely DDS in Upper Arlington.
Here are a few of the most obvious fundamentals:
- Tooth Color: shade, brightness, uniformity
- Tooth alignment: straight or crooked?
- Tooth size and proportions: are some teeth much larger or smaller than the rest?
- Tooth spacing: is there crowding or big gaps between teeth?
- Gumline margins: how much gum shows when you smile?
Here are some other essential elements that may be less familiar to the layperson:
- The portions of the teeth that are visible when the mouth is at rest
- The relationship of the smile line and the lip line
- Zenith points: the highest point of the gumline in relation to the center of the tooth
- Midline placement: the smile should be centered in the middle of the lips, mouth, and face
- Mesial inclination: the tops of the teeth should angle slightly away from the midline
If essential design principles are not observed, the smile may look “off” or the function of the teeth and jaw could be adversely affected. For example, a smile makeover performed by an inexperienced cosmetic dentist could change the patient’s bite and put unnecessary stress on the restorations.
Do not choose a cosmetic dentist by procedure cost alone. If you are contemplating a smile makeover, call Mark Miely DDS in Upper Arlington today. We provide cosmetic and general dentistry. Schedule an informative consultation with us today.
Contact Dr. Mark Miely DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):